Saturday, July 27, 2013

Why so big?

I'm a huge fan of science. I have always had to ask why is this what causes that. The hallmarks of a true scientist. Recently, I have been participating in a few projects at Zooniverse primarily in astronomy. Looking at all the stars and galaxies millions of light-years away makes me wonder, "Are we alone?" My answer is, "we can't be!" I mean, look at the shear volume of the universe! All those stars with sooo many planets!

Without getting in too deep of a religious discussion, why did God great such a horrendously huge place just for Man? It's mindbogglingly! I'm not so much asking the Almighty why, but I think that it is part of human nature to ask that question. I mean, we have made such a mess of this place and he gave us so much more to play in?!?! You would think that we could do what we needed to do in a star system sized universe. Why so big?

Here's an example...
 
In this picture of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, every fuzzy spot is a galaxy. This is looking back as far as we can see with current technology. Now, try and convince me we are alone in the universe.

No comments: