Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Airlines could save us money

If you have been to an airport recently, were you able to see some outlandish color schemes used by some airlines? I created the montage below to provide a few examples.


A 747 requires 90 gallons (at around $250/gallon I might add) paint that weigh nearly 600 lbs. Each layer of additional paint adds more weight and lessens the fuel economy. This is carried over to the customer in ticket prices. The overall price per ticket per passenger over the life-time of the paint maybe small. Better fuel economy and less paint cost could save the ticket holder from paying for an extra carry-on or ticket reduction.

I am sure that the paint schemes lend to brand recognition. You will never hear someone at an airport say, "I want to fly the pretty pink one." Most people don't care what color the plane is as long as the ticket price is competitive and the airline has excellent safety record. I'll take a plain, white bird over a pink one any day as long as I get to where I am going.

No comments: