Monday, June 10, 2013

Google Calender FAIL

For years Microsoft has pretty much ran the calendar world with Outlook. Businesses have come to depend on it. Google sneaks in with a suite of web based tools to challenge Office. At first, Microsoft and Google worked well together until Google decided to throw in the proverbial monkey wrench. You were about to share your Google Calendar with Outlook as simply as copy and paste for free. Now Google has their own suite of business tools and slap, bang, Bob's your uncle, it's costs money. Unless you want to pay Google, you can no longer sync your Google calendar with Outlook.

For some people, like me, I don't have a business but have been using Microsoft Outlook for so long, we have gotten very, very comfortable with it. It has become like your favorite hammer or chair. You just simply have to have it. No other calender programs provides the same set up as Outlook. I love it. Thunderbird fails because it's arrangement does not provide for a starting point like "Outlook Today." Evolution is slowly, painfully so, to Windows. It does provide some similarities to Outlook, but they are not the same. I look at it like this...if you love red delicious apples and have to eat a granny smiths. VMware has Zimbra up and coming, but like Google it's cloud based. I'm not sure about the cloud yet.

My solution to how to get Google and Outlook to play together is awkward, but not prohibitively so. I have made my Google Calender an RSS feed which I can pick up with Outlook. Then, I just copy the information. If there's a will, right? As I said, it isn't a easy as syncing your Gmail with Outlook but it works until something comers along.



Duh, you know the products mentioned about and who owns them.

No comments: