Sunday, June 2, 2013

OMG! Wal-Mart Racist!!

We all talk about how bad Wal-Mart is. It's actually a favorite topic along with the weather, the 'how are you's and the like. There are good things and bad things about Wal-Mart, just like another business. This I noticed today...

We were shopping at the Wal-Mart in Paris, TN and I noticed something that stuck me funny. I'm sure you noticed the ethnic foods all lumped together. I'm sure it is, and my wife assured me it was so, for convenience. Well, look at it another way. Ethnic foods are organized by the general grouping by what we call 'race.' The Kosher food in one section. The Mexican/Hispanic food is in one section. The Asian food is in one section. Isn't that food separated by race? Doesn't that make Wal-mart racist to organize food to suit the taste of specific ethnic background? It's also insulting. Are Asians unable to find their ethnic food organized along general merchandising sections? I know that the re-fried beans are made from frijoles. I mean, people look for beans in the bean aisle. If you are looking for gefilte fish, wouldn't you look in with the tuna, salmon or mackerel?

I know Wal-Mart would never do anything to insult an ethnic group. I'm not saying that Wal-Mart is really racist. It just appears that way in an underlying, subconscious level. Other businesses do the same thing. Yet, does that make it right? You decide.

No comments: