Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Christmas Gift


"And, it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus...," Luke 2:1.

We all know the story. When I was growing up, I heard the story at least twice during the season: once at the church service before Christmas and on Christmas Eve. Then, I never questioned the story and after many years, I find little reason to question it now. It was a miracle! You cannot question miracles. So, I learned to ignore all the critics who argue about the time of year being wrong, how a woman can't get pregnant without having sex, or even, Jesus was just a man.

"'Tis the Season," as we languish in line at the retail stores. It is the season to over stress ourselves because we can't find the toy that our spoiled brat wants. We stress over the fear that their gift they got thier officer manager is not as good enough compared to the person in the next cubical. Then, there is my favorite "you shouldn't have" when you forgot to get someone a present who just handed you one. This aren't examples of how we are to conduct ourselves at Christmas. This is how we have been programmed to be at Christmas. This stress is too great for some. Christmas sees the highest rate of suicide than any other season.

Our command is to be unafraid of the day and to be of full of joy (Luke2:10). How many people do you know who are more glad Christmas is over than for it to arrive? How many of us take a year or more to pay off the gifts we give because we put them on credit? How many toys do we see laying around after 5 minutes of play? Think about it. How much joy do you see during Christmas. We say it! Do we really feel it?

I know, questions. However, I feel they are really important questions. We must connect with the way Christmas should be remembered. We are going in the wrong direction. With this in mind, I made a vow last year, that I would not put one gift on credit. It is Christmas Eve and I have kept that vow. There is no gift precious enough or needed enough to pay more than it is worth in interest.

I cannot give a gift comparable to the one given me over 2,000 years ago in a small, desert village. I will share my gift with anyone who wishes it because I cannot give it away. It is a miracle given to all men, women and children. Christmas is about the greatest miracle Man has ever been given.

No comments: