Friday, October 8, 2010

The Genealogist

No one gets up one morning and decides, "Today, I am going to research my family." It usually starts by someone asking a question about a grandfather or aunt. From there it explodes in to a lifelong passion. I mean 'explodes.' It has developed into something more a kin to looking for the Lost Dutchman's Mine than just collecting pictures and a few census records. While genealogy isn't wandering through a desert with only a mule for company, you need to spend a few hours looking through pages of a microfiche reader or driving down country roads looking for a lost cemetery. But, I love it! You should see the stuff I have collected.

I got started looking up my family's history in 1979 when I had to do a paper for high school and needed a project. It was easy. I asked around and got dates of birth and, at that time, seemed an endless list of names. I knew most of the people on my list and heard stories about those that had already passed on. Suddenly, I wanted to know who I was and where I came from. As I said, it 'exploded.' From then on it was no turning back and so far I haven't. There have been times when I would spend months or years without giving it a thought. It never takes long before I am back at it bothering people with questions.

There are fears and worries that go along with the research. My greatest fear is that in the future, all of my research will be tossed or allow to decay due to lack of interest. How does one get their kids involved enough with your life's work to carry it on? How does one show how important it is to keep the records? What does one do with the past in the future? Memories are precious. They are tangible and irreplaceable. I have found that the greatest loss is not being interested enough in our elders to sit down and talk to them about, well, themselves. I know from experience that I have let opportunities pass by that will truly never come again.

Truly, it isn't about me. This isn't my hobby. I do what I do for everyone that has come and gone. I do it for those who will come after me. I wanted to know where I came from. Tomorrow, someone will ask the same question.

Like all good topics, this one has an ending befitting an Oscar win. I want to thank everyone, living and dead, for all the effort given to helping me accomplish my life's work. It would be futile to try and list everyone. You know who you are. Oh, did I say 'accomplish'? I am in no way finished.



No comments: