Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chik-Fil-A and the "Others"

Today is Chik-Fil-A Appreciation Day! I'm not sure what that means, but I do know that those who oppose same-sex marriage will paying them a visit. I am sure there will be a boycott or picket of Chik-Fil-A locations by those who support same-sex marriage. I will do neither. I am not particularly fond as it is and it has nothing to do about what the companies beliefs are.

A couple of weeks ago, the head honcho of Chik-Fil-A announced that the company did not support same-sex marriage. I hope he wasn't too surprised by the backlash. Making statements like that causes ripples across the companies employees and patrons. It would have been better to let that do lay sleeping. Now, the company has to deal with the PR. The Chik-Fil-A that is closest to me always has a good business. You usually have to wait in the drive-up window line and you have to wait when you go inside. So, locally, business for Chik-Fil-A is good. I do not know how this announcement will affect this one store. I do believe that some stores will have a slight advantage because of the Chik-Fil-A's policy.

As for me, I do not support same-sex marriage. Religiously, for me, it is not compatible with my Christian beliefs. However, I don't make it a habit of making a stand on religious issues. Our country is too diverse in personal religion. Same-sex does not effect the religious sanctity of religion. Same sex marriage is a chance to create a sense of self-acceptance among the gay community and normalization in society. It does not effect me or my marriage in any way.

Y'all have fun standing out in the heat if you plan on boycotting Chick-Fil-A. Otherwise, enjoy a chicken sandwich with a pickle on it.

No comments: