Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Linux Experiment

I recently had a run in with some malware and trojans. Now, it is official...I have dumped Windows for Linux. This isn't a dual boot or a shell, but a full blown Linux installation. I am running Ubuntu 12.4 on my main machine. I've chosen to run Ubuntu's Unity desktop over Gnome and KDE (I have all three installed) Gnome is okay. KDE just doesn't work for me. I have switched and used all three.

All of my hardware works. I even managed to get my two monitors to work. This was a challenge because my monitors are of two different resolutions. But, after a day of research, I have them working together. Oh, my MagicJack doesn't work. There is no Linux for it.

The Ubuntu is fast. Much faster than Windows ever thought of being. I am sure, however that as time moves forward, I will face challenges as I try to play a few Windows games. There are ways but I have to get them to work. Virtual Windows has always been a problem for me. I just need more time spent on research.

Remember, Android is Linux and MAC's OS is derived from Linux as well.

No comments: