Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Paranormal TV

Several of the television networks have gone plum crazy over the paranormal. There are a half dozen teams of investigators scouring the globe looking for things that go "bump in the night." It isn't the amazing discoveries they have found that make the shows a need to watch event. At least, for me at any rate. Those guys (and girls) have been to the Gobi desert and the swamps Louisiana looking for ghouls, goblins, Bigfoot, ghosts and strange lights.

They do pull off some amazing fetes of, heroism (I started to say stupidity, but I wanted to be nice.). The guys from Destination Truth will jump into a pool of water, at night, then panic when there is something in the water they cannot see. They have left a guy alone in a 'haunted circle' and become amazed and panicked when he does. The Chasing UFOs have investigated a decades UFO crash at night. While following the same format as Finding Bigfoot, Chasing UFOs isn't as exciting without Bobo. Honestly, I've watched on episode of Chasing UFOs, as that was all I could stomach. Speaking of Finding Bigfoot, Bobo makes the show while Matt Moneymaker could see a Bigfoot while looking at a photo of your grandmother. I'm not gonna touch Ghost Hunters and their 'evidence.' Any paranormal investigation with a medium is out for me. I don't like UFO Hunters either.

I do like Ancient Aliens. While not strictly paranormal, they have thrown some information that does fit in that category. These guys pull some amazing correlations out of evidence and they do stretch the work possible a bit, but it is an okay show. It makes you think, especially the episode about Puma Punku in  Bolivia. (You have to look it up.) That place is amazing. Another show I like is Ghost Adventurers. These guys pull historical events and see if they can bring out the paranormal that exists. Anytime you bring history to an purported event it makes the show interesting just for the history.

All television productions have an agenda when they go into production. Some of the stars of the show are also the producers. To me that already removes objectivity from the equation. One of my favorites, while not strictly about the paranormal is Ancient Aliens. Again, it is one of the shows that is produced by one of the stars. I am not blinded by that fact that all television production has an agenda. Some television productions are more obvious than others.

To check out which of the paranormal shows you might like, check on SyFy, the National Geographic Channel, H2 (History Channel 2) and the Travel Channel. The above mentioned shows are there, while I think Finding Bigfoot is on Animal Planet. You just might see them capture Bigfoot or interview Elvis.

No comments: